Tuesday, July 1, 2008

It's Never Too Late

This is a blog for the average triathlete like me. I was a 3-ml. a day runner for 25 years, always in decent shape, but never even thought about pushing the envelope...until I turned 40. Since then, I have competed in dozens of running, swimming, cycling events and triathlons. I have run marathons and ultra marathons and will do my first 70.3 at Vineman later this month.

There are plenty of highly competitive triathletes older than me (who finish well ahead of me) but I am here to encourage anyone who thinks they're too old to tri.

Ray Crock was well into his 60s when he started MacDonalds.
Beethoven was 80 and deaf and still writing symphonies.
Picasso was still painting masterpieces at age 88.
Casey Stingel was still managing the New York Yankees at age 75.
Moses led 3.5 million people out of captivity. He was really old.
Colonel Sanders started KFC at age 66 with a $99 retirement paycheck. Then, over a 2-year period, he traveled across the country and did 1,009 presentations before someone bought his first recipe.

So just get out there and tri!


No comments: