Thursday, July 3, 2008

My First 70.3

The Vineman 70.3 is July 20. I did Uvas on May 18 and clocked 2:37 at San Jose International on June 8. But this is my first 70.3 and I'm not even sure I'm training correctly for it. I've never even looked for a training program for this distance. I must be an idiot. Take the advice of my training partner who has done Vineman, other halfs and an ironman, then add the conditioning from two 50Ks and AR50 earlier this year, and I have probably lulled myself into a false sense of security. I'm running 40 mls. a week, riding 100+, swimming 2 - 3 times a week, and taking that ever important rest day.

For the swim, I'm doing lots of intervals in the pool with a total of 3000 - 3500 yards for each workout. I've done 4 open water swims this year which has helped me to learn to swim in a straight line. I work out twice a day two days a week. I've been doing long rides (50 - 80 mls.) on the bike on weekends, followed by a 30-min. run faster than race pace. For the run, I'm doing speed work mid-week and a long run (12 - 15 mls.) on weekends with a 6 - 7 ml. tempo in the middle section. This weekend I'll do a long run with negative splits.

I know I can finish at Vineman but concerned the water temp (which has been as high as 84 recently) could be too warm even for a sleeveless wet suit and I will really suffer on the run if it's warmer than 70 degrees. I have a 7:10 am. start which means I'll be running in the 11 am. - 1 pm. window. I'm really hoping for fog and a marine layer and cool temps that morning in Guerneville. I know I'm not supposed to set a time goal for my first 70.3, but it's 6:15. Sub-6 is within reach but everything will have to go supremely well.

I'm open to all advice even though it's too late to make any changes. Need to start tapering soon.

No comments: