Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Locker Room Talk

OK, let's get personal. This is my locker room. I keep just about all my gear except wetsuits and shoes in here. It started with just some water bottles and Gu. But over time, I realized I kept going back in the house for a towel, zoomers, heart rate monitor, gloves, whatever. It's easier to leave it all in the car, keeps the bedroom closet less cluttered, and there's less to forget on race day.

There are other benefits of having a mobile locker room. It makes it much easier to do an unplanned workout if I get out of work early, it feeds my obsession with organization, and it helps me feel like I'm prepared for training or a race.

Any locker room of course requires some regular maintenance. There are too many chapsticks I never use, trial size Alcis capsules--no idea what to do with those things, nasty Gu flavors I try to give away, other miscellaneous items from goodie bags that just pile up. I have four pairs of gaiters in there--three of them were obviously designed by people who don't run trails. Notice all the towels. Can't ever have too many towels.

The only thing missing from my locker room is a shower and a cold beer...I'm working on it.

No comments: